HAEC PARS UNIVERSI
This spot, this corner, this part of the universe

Friday, April 4, 2008




I came across this advertisement here this morning. It's for the metro railway system of the city of Madrid, Spain.

On one hand, it does make you laugh. It's really funny. On the other hand, I worry about what the makers of the ad think of the Philippines as well as what the Spaniards themselves will think upon seeing it. Well, without further ado, here it is:

I'm not sure if Spaniards think that the Philippines is still what it was when they left: backwards, underdeveloped, agrarian (all still applies, if you think about it). Add the fact this is the advertising industry. It uses stereotypes because they effectively serve as a shorthand language with which to convey their messages. (Of course, the downside is that the stereotype will continue to perpetuate.)

I think I should be offended. But I'm not. Just like what the blog from which I got this said, it's the don't-call-my-mother-fat concept that's operating here. So I should be offended.

I don't know. Maybe, having studied communication and mass media gave me high media literacy and as such, I don't get offended by these things. I don't know. What you do think?

By the way, the voice-over in the end says, "The railway system that the whole city wants to have when it becomes big: the Madrid Metro. Let's go."

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home

<< Newer Posts